Tuesday, January 11, 2011

For Ignorantics, "Big Boned" is the New Plus Size!

Each time that I travel the Twitter highway, I run across something interesting...something Ignorantic. Yesterday was no different. As my Tweets were coming in at lightning speed, one tweet caught my eye from LifeLOL:



Life LOL
I hate it when people say they aren't fat, but they're big boned. I don't know about everyone else but I've never seen a fat skeleton.

Aside from being absolutely hilarious (the comment from LifeLOL), this is a classic ignorantic that has been used for decades. Where did this come from? Perhaps, it may have originated from the characterization of having a small, medium or large frame. It may have something to do with the fact that a healthy weight is somehow determined by the size of your frame, but there is no medical term or measurement called "Big-Boned". From its ignorantic use, it would appear that it is being used as an adjective. However, "boned" is not an adjective, it is a verb. The verb "boned" means "to remove the bones from" or "to stiffen with stays"[1] Now, we all know that "boned" is also in the urban dictionary. Dare I say that its inclusion in the urban dictionary may have something to do with the verb definition of "boned"?  In any event, ladies and gents, stop thinking of yourself as "big-boned", and start calling yourself "Large Framed"


[1] http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Boned

No comments:

Post a Comment